Your Ad Here

Thursday, October 27, 2011

10/27/11 Amazing Possibilities


So I was on twitter at obscene hours of the night as I usually am from time to time. And I noticed something... Peculiar. Well not so much peculiar as awesome. An artist acquaintance of mine... put an open note that she might be interested in working with a writer to make a comic... I've always had a knack for imagining something of this sort... And oh god this'd be awesome. I'm gonna work on a story of some kind that we'll turn into the basis for the comic maybe?

Oh god I needed something like this to keep me sane.

On a totally unrelated note... I'm temporarily giving up WoW. My subscription runs out today at Noon and in theory that should be an incentive for me to pound the fuck out of the gaming world/grind/pvp or SOMETHING. But ya know taking my current situation into perspective, I've decided against that and instead I'm going to do what I should be doing. I.E. typing my heart out with more job applications :P. Anyway as I consider all things constant I think I'm going to be ok. Well not as ok as I would have wished but hey we all have to go somewhere.

And lets see what else is on my mind... The following.

The World As You Won't Know It...

While yes that's just a picture of the globe... There's an evil story behind it. And you might know it if you were remotely awake for steam deals back during earth day ish. Yeah it's a game called Fate of the World. Created by nerdy scientists who wanted to envision how the world will be, or should be or could be and what not... Heading a group trying to limit carbon emissions, save the world from political unrest and stop random countries from accidentally screwing over the world with accidental spikes in global emissions. Yep. As the President of the Global Environmental Organization (Think of them sorta as the strings that pull the world's every movement), it's your task to save everyone. And while the majority of the world has no clue or should I say gives no shit about your prime objective, you're still tasked with saving them :/

The game is divided into various missions (think decreasing the global pollution by x. Increasing the GDP of the world by x or if you're really mad, ending all existence) which offer quite literally unlimited replay value. And though it's just a scenario based time stream between 2020ish to 2200ish, the random variables at play during any given time make the game both addictive and maddening.

As the president you're given a hand of cards that represent magical edicts, treaties, promises and the like towards a cleaner, more eco-friendly future. You'll do everything from research nano-technology and the future of fission science to introducing deadly plagues to wipe out certain population sectors, and all with the use of multi-colored cards :/ Why yes I realize this may sound really simple. But lets see... It isn't. First of all each card requires a slot (a representative that your organization hires to enact it) and oh that's right there are 12 yes 12 fucking areas where you have to simultaneously take care of. India's having civil unrest again because you looked away for 2 seconds? Too bad they've rejected all future support from your organization and will now be at war with itself and cause so much god damn pollution, you'd wonder how they still exist.

Did I mention that your cards used money? Yeah Each of the 12 regions of the world donate x amount towards your master budget and much like the real world, the areas that need the most help seem to donate the least resources. It's even more frustrating when you realize that areas such as the middle east and most of Africa are extremely unstable and prone to falling back into political turmoil given the least amount of nudging from the world, a disaster or their neighbors :/

Which is probably a sign that since I've had so many problems with such simplicity that I'd probably be a poor world leader. As I focused way too much on one aspect of the world's economy I unintentionally fucked up another area :/ Which is probably why the world's people were well fed but suffering from drastic decreases in just about everything else.

The internal balance of factors is really interesting in that fact and is likely the main driving force behind why I enjoy playing the game even if I'm horrid at it.



Meh I was about to type another section on how much I miss Korean noodles but I guess I've typed enough for now. I'll be back laters maybe. And if I do I'll type up another piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment